Exception size reduction patch

Jim Wilson wilson@cygnus.com
Thu Apr 23 23:23:00 GMT 1998

I think it would make more sense to use __attribute__ ((weak)), which
should work for any target that supports weak declarations, and which
will be harmless if it doesn't.  This is better than checking for
HANDLE_SYSV_PRAGMA, since not every target that supports weak declarations
supports HANDLE_SYSV_PRAGMA.  I don't think you need to conditionalize the
checks for non-zero function addresses.

It isn't clear to me why you moved all of the eh.o stuff from libgcc2.c to
frame.c.  That just seems to make the patch larger than it needs to be.

	If we want, we can separate sjlj exception from frame-based exception
	so that -fsjlj-exceptions won't include the frame info.

It isn't clear why this is a concern.  Did you perhaps increase sjlj executable
size by putting the eh.o stuff in frame.c?  And now you are suggesting a way
to avoid this?

Or are you saying that this patch doesn't decrease sjlj executable size, and
that further changes do?  If that is the case, then I would suggest making one
change at a time.

Jim