Idea: Eliminate libf2c/f2c.h installation from g77 entirely?
N8TM
N8TM@aol.com
Sat Apr 18 23:50:00 GMT 1998
In a message dated 4/18/98 2:28:54 PM Pacific Daylight Time, burley@gnu.org
writes:
<< egcs@cygnus.com, g77-alpha@gnu.org >>
it might be time to eliminate from g77 any and all
attempts to "help" the sysadmin by installing the libf2c.a and
f2c.h files
my $.02
I don't know anyone who links with libf2c nowadays other than by invoking g77,
so for practical purposes libf2c belongs to g77. I use f2c, the source code
processor, as an alternate to g77 sometimes, for example to try out processor-
dependent ways of doing things.
I haven't seen any great problems with the libf2c way of doing library calls,
and I can imagine much worse ways, having in front of me daily the example of
HPUX. It might be nice to have a way to invoke the gcc macro facility, but it
would also contribute to non-portability. I can see what to me are
significant improvements in parts of the library, without intentionally
departing from the current f2c conventions. I'm planning to make up a .diff
file of my versions compared to egcs 1.0.2
More information about the Gcc
mailing list