C++ library for egcs

Joe Buck jbuck@synopsys.com
Fri Apr 10 12:35:00 GMT 1998

> > No, in compliant C++ code, is is *not* correct.  ostream is now a typedef!
> > ostream is really basic_ostream<char>.  This breaks the world.
>
> No, it is correct.

Only for a pedantic meaning of "correct", that is that yes, it is a
conforming program, but no, it doesn't do what the user wanted it to
do when s/he wrote it, and the program won't link.

But maybe you are on to something -- it occured to me that we might be
able to use this fact to do a compatibility hack, if we munge the linker
to remap foo(ostream&) into foo(basic_ostream<char>&) or add a
compatibility library that has stub functions to do this.