About prefix on linux

Raja R Harinath harinath@cs.umn.edu
Fri Sep 12 09:41:00 GMT 1997


hjl@lucon.org (H.J. Lu) writes:
[snip]
> I have feeling that install egs in /usr/local on linux as default
> may cause more trouble than its worth for most of Linux users.

I don't think so.  A lot of people will be switching to one of the
standard distributions when glibc becomes more widely used.  Handling
multiple libcs -- and maintaining multiple .so files with the same
so-name but linked against different libcs -- requires too much
discipline and time.

Once that happens, installing by default into /usr becomes a huge
no-no.  

> If that really happened, I hope eveyone woluld help out. If necessary,
> I will make a patch to make /usr as default, which I hope I will
> never do.
>
> BTW, one thing comes to mind is now you have to add -L/usr/local/lib
> just to get the right libstdc++.

Nope.  $libdir [by default == $exec_prefix/lib, by default ==
$prefix/lib, by default == /usr/local/lib] is always searched before
/usr/lib.

- Hari
-- 
Raja R Harinath ------------------------------ harinath@cs.umn.edu
"When all else fails, read the instructions."      -- Cahn's Axiom
"Our policy is, when in doubt, do the right thing."   -- Roy L Ash



More information about the Gcc mailing list