intel 960 support Was: pentium?

Jim Wilson wilson@cygnus.com
Thu Oct 2 19:43:00 GMT 1997


	> There is also the issue of copyright assignments.  We can't use
	> Intel's code without a copyright assignment from Intel.  I am not
	> sure how hard it will be to get one; it might be easier to just
	> write new code from scratch in some cases.

	Maybe not that hard...  Below is what's on file already.

Except that none of these assignments are useful.  All of the existing
assignments are restricted to a particular patch or release, and the most
recent i960 related one is from 6 years ago.  If I wanted to, I could add
changes from a 6 year old GNU960 release, but I can not add changes from the
most recent GNU960 release.  I am really not very interested in 6 year old
sources.

What would be really useful is if Intel assigned all past/future i960 gcc
related changes to the FSF, but I seriously doubt that will happen.

I do believe that we can get an assignment for a particular GNU960 release
from Intel, because they have signed assignments in the past.  However, it
will take work on our part to get the assignment, because Intel is not going
to volunteer it.  And we will need to get another assignment everytime Intel
makes another GNU960 release.  It isn't clear if all of this work is
worthwhile.

Jim



More information about the Gcc mailing list