g77 changes
Jeffrey A Law
law@cygnus.com
Tue Nov 18 23:53:00 GMT 1997
In message < rzqbtzikrzc.fsf@djlvig.dl.ac.uk >you write:
> Jeffrey> This is a question with broader implications. ie, we're
> Jeffrey> still trying to answer the version # question about the
> Jeffrey> release as a whole :-)
>
> OK, as long as it's not misleading in the end result. (I was raising
> this under apparent threat of a release.)
Well, this is one of the critical non-technical issues, along with some
egcs specific docs.
> >> * Installation instructions
> Jeffrey> Yes. This is a general problem -- however I think we want
> Jeffrey> to shy away from language specific install stuff.
>
> Yes, one would hope most would be unnecessary, but at present it
> contains instructions involving patching gcc 2.7, etc., etc.
Well, as long as g77 development is officially happening outside egcs,
I'd like to shy away from modifying the "f" subdir too much.
As such I'd personally be happy with some egcs specific install instructions
which also mentioned that they override any/all installation information
that may be found in any of the subdirs. Others may have different thoughts
of course :-)
> Jeffrey> We should note major bugfixes and user interface changes; I
> Jeffrey> don't think we want to detail every change since 0.5.21.
>
> There are already changes listed (typically not too many per release)
> but there's probably more which needs adding and also, likely things
> to be removed from the `actual bugs' list (such as Alpha fixing,
> perhaps).
>
> [I'd try to write doc if I knew enough (and had time) but...]
I personally don't know enough either -- it's something that someone else
will probably have to volunteer to do -- and (IMHO) it's not something we
should hold up the first release for.
jeff
More information about the Gcc
mailing list