Catch 5.0.x

Robert Lipe robertl@dgii.com
Mon Dec 22 21:06:00 GMT 1997

Hint to others:  I recognized JP's name and read his request.   I
don't read every byte on this list, and suspect that many of the Wise
Ones don't either.    Pick a subject line to get the attention of
someone that can help.   Earlier today, I got mail from a dude that
has some sort of OpenServer-specific thing that didn't get his request
on the egcs list answered.   This means only that his subject didn't
catch my attention, not that we're snobs and ignoring anyone...

On with the show...

> A bit of a chicken and egg problem arose as I tried to recompile
> the dejagnu and egcs releases of 12/22 on SCO OpenServer 5.0.4.

There are a number of chickens and eggs ranging from poached to fried
on this topic.   You've encountered only the first.   The invoked
assembler is a problem for 5.0.0 and 5.0.2 users.   On 5.0.4, I think
you're safe from them.

> Configure, in both programs, finds gcc or cc, but it then insists on
> inserting -belf in the CFLAGS and occasionally in the LDFLAGS.

Exactly at what point do you ever see it adding a -belf?   When doing
the bootstrap thing, it'll stage one with whatever you provide and then
stage >= two with -melf becuase -melf is definitely valid in the xgcc
that was just built.

> That flag is OK for SCO's current cc, and it's also OK for the gcc
> that brother Lipe furnished for OSR 5 in the recent past.

Yes, my mailbox is already getting nailed about this.   I saw this
coming about a year ago.

> Just now I've got the egcs-1.0 gcc first in my path, and -belf won't do.

You can always override the host compiler that configure uses by specifying
'CC="blah options" configure'.   I do this with every egcs build becuase
configure sees that I have a gcc or two in my path and wants to use it,
but I want to be sure everything works with the native tools.   So I always
build with 'CC=/bin/cc ../path/to/configure'.

Do you have anything in your environment that could be causing autoconf
to find -belf?

> So I went around the various source files, zapped all occurences of
> -bzip; dejanews built and installed, and make bootstrap is churning away
> in egcs-1.0.1-gcc's stage2 even as I write.

Huh?   Type that again, but slower...