[gnu.gcc.help] g++ bug ?

Arun Sharma asharma@netscape.com
Mon Dec 22 20:59:00 GMT 1997

I got the same error (see attached message) with egcs-1.0. In essence,
the problem is:

class foo {

	method() { /* defined here */ };
};

And calls to foo::method are translated as function calls instead of
inlining them, resulting in linker errors.

I can't reproduce it in a simple program. It happens only on a complex
C++ file. Out of the 5 references to foo::method, only 3 were calls,
the other 2 were inlined.

	-Arun

From: Arun Sharma <asharma@nospam.netscape.com>
Newsgroups: gnu.gcc.help
Subject: g++ bug ?
Date: 22 Dec 1997 18:18:14 -0800

I have a bunch of files which compiled fine with gcc-2.7.2.1 on a
Redhat Linux 4.2 system. I upgraded to Redhat 5.0 recently, which has
a gcc-2.7.2.3 and am finding a whole bunch of linker errors.

The linker errors are due to undefined references to inline
methods. Does anyone know if this is a bug ? Has it been fixed in more
recent releases ? I'm also using -fhandle-exceptions if that is of any
help.

	-Arun