gen_rtx_FOO

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Mon Dec 15 15:43:00 GMT 1997

  In message <199710010853.BAA13130@twiddle.rth.home>you write:
  > Attached please find a first draft of a patch originally by
  > Bernd Schmidt, and cleaned up a bit by myself that generates
  > non-varargs functions to build rtx's.  It also converts two
  > files to use the new functions.
  >
  > Once this were to go in, we could begin slowly converting the
  > rest of the files in gcc to use them, the goal being that the
  > nastiness that David Miller ran into never happen again.
  >
  > Of course, if we do this, and gcc2 doesn't, it'll be nasty to
  > do any sort of meaningful merging...  Ah well.
[ ... patch not included ... ]
Well, last I remember I was the only person that objected to this,
and a few people thought it was a good idea.

Considering that it does give us some compile time checks on calls
to gen_rtx_blah and may speed up the compiler on machines that
flush register args to the stack in varargs functions, I say let's
go ahead and move forward with this change.

Note that this patchkit may need some updating after some of jfc's
recent changes.  Any takers?

jeff