memory explosion with -O1 (was: egcs-1.0 Release)

Gerald Pfeifer pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 15 06:14:00 GMT 1997

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Tudor Hulubei wrote:
> I just tried the new snapshot (971207) and it seems that the memory
> problem when using lots of templates is still present.  cc1plus goes
> up to about 138Mb and then sometimes reports "memory exhausted",

I can confirm this report:

On sparc-sun-solaris2.5.1 with egcs-2.91.02 971206 I experience exactly
the same problem with "-O1 -ftemplate-depth-20" only, no -Wall etc!

I have reported this problem, which doesn't occur with either
gcc 2.7.2 or egcs without optimizations, before. (It's available
as http://www.cygnus.com/ml/egcs-bugs/1997-Nov/0142.html .)

If anyone would like to have a look at my sources, just let me know!

Gerald
--
Gerald Pfeifer (Jerry)      Vienna University of Technology
pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at   http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/~pfeifer/