fortran regression [was Re: Results for egcs-971207 on m68k-next-nextstep3]

Dave Love d.love@dl.ac.uk
Thu Dec 11 11:14:00 GMT 1997


>>>>> "Jeffrey" == Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com> writes:

 Jeffrey> It is most likely the gcc2 brought over in the last merge
 Jeffrey> which try and flag arrays that are too big
 Jeffrey> (compile/961203-1.c bug).

Ah.  Doubtless.

 Jeffrey> We need to figure out how to make fortran work with that
 Jeffrey> code, either by fixing the gcc2 changes or the fortran front
 Jeffrey> end.

AFAIR the front end is somewhat hamstrung (perhaps depending on
exactly what the issue is) and there have been long-standing problems,
especially with the debugging info generated leading to gdb crashes
trying to assumed-size arrays (which used to appear with huge or
negative dimensions).  There's an essay on this area in f/com.c
(ffecom_sym_transform_), at least I think it's relevant.

I think Fortran isn't really usable until this is resolved somehow
because that construct is very common.  I doubt I can be much help
other than maybe explaining the fortran issues if a wizard is able to
look into it.



More information about the Gcc mailing list