egcs-1.0 notes

Jeffrey A Law law@cygnus.com
Mon Dec 8 22:52:00 GMT 1997

  In message < 9712090554.AA04768@probelab.msrce.howard.edu >you write:
  > A few notes about egcs-1.0
  >
  > 1) On both my alpha and my ultrix machines, egcs will NOT compile unless
  > the source code dir is the same as the object dir (see below) ie I have
  > to './configure' and then 'make bootstrap' in the egcs-1.0 directory.
Please read the installation information.

You're running into this problem because you're not using GNU make.  As stated
in the installation instructions we _highly_ recommend building in a separate
directory from the sources and using GNU make.

  > 2) My ultrix machine is one of thoes that needs gas to build egcs.
  > But since gas doesn't build (I'm using the latest snapshot on the cygnus
  > ftp site), I need to put -fsjlj-exceptions in the BOOT_CFLAGS and TCFLAGS
  > macros in the gcc/Makefile, and even the the run time libs won't build.
  > (I haven't had tome to look into why gas doean't compile, but there is
  > an error in a make file somewhere.)
Probably the same makefile bugs we fixed for the HPs.  Using GNU make should
solve this problem.