Size of generated programs (fwd)
Bill Walker
bw@student.ecok.edu
Mon Dec 8 11:54:00 GMT 1997
Forwarded message:
> Precedence: bulk
>
> I've had egcs up and running for a few days now, and have encountered no
> problems with the programs I've compiled (other than the ones I make for
> myself). One thing I've noticed is that the stripped executables are
> significantly larger than those I get with gcc2. I compile with
>
> -O3 -ffast-math -funroll-loops -malign-*=0 -malign-double -march=pentium (or
> -m486).
>
> Any idea why this happens?
>
> David Ronis
>
>
I have had essentially the same experience, with C, FORTRAN,
and C++. The increase is anywhere from about 2% to about 10%, after
stripping, and running through mcs -d. OTOH, the egcs compiler seems to
compile things that I just couldn't compile before, so I consider it
a wash.
My platform is OSR 5.0.4.
BW
--
Bill Walker Ph.D.
Chairman, Dept. of Computer Science
East Central University
Ada, Oklahoma 74820-6899
e-mail: bw@cs.ecok.edu
phone: 580 332 8000 ext. 594
FAX: 580 332 4616
More information about the Gcc
mailing list