egrep -i haifa INSTALL install.texi

Joe Buck jbuck@synopsys.com
Mon Dec 1 11:32:00 GMT 1997


> gcc/INSTALL is basically out of date and depreciated for egcs.

OK.  I hope you've planned one snapshot for a debugging pass on the
included documentation (that is, it's a bad idea to do a release with
documentation that people haven't yet seen).

> http://www.cygnus.com/egcs/install/index.html

On the directions:

configure.html:

I've always built egcs with srcdir = objdir and have not had problems.
Is that warning appropriate?  objdir is certainly appropriate for the
system administrator who supports multiple Unix flavors, but why do
suspect that srcdir == objdir is risky.

I recommend that all defaults for options switches be listed;
--with-local-prefix, --with-gxx-include-dir are missing theirs.

--with-newlib is not documented; a sentence saying what newlib is would
be helpful.

build.html:

Please document bootstrap-lean:

If you are short on disk space, you might consider "make bootstrap-lean"
instead.  This is identical to "make bootstrap" except that object files
from the stage 1 and stage 2 of the 3-stage bootstrap of the compiler
are deleted as soon as they are no longer needed.

The "make cross" directions are insufficient: the user also must obtain
target tools and libraries -- a pointer to the crossgcc FAQ might be
helpful here, even if it is somewhat out of date.

test.html:

I suggest putting in the full path to the dejagnu testsuite as visible
text, not just a link, so people printing out the directions have it.


finalinstall.html:

... where <I>prefix</I> is the value you specified with the --prefix option to
configure (or /usr/local by default).





More information about the Gcc mailing list