target/6882: [SPARC] Useless stack adjustment code

Eric Botcazou ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr
Mon Mar 31 14:36:00 GMT 2003


The following reply was made to PR target/6882; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Eric Botcazou <ebotcazou@libertysurf.fr>
To: Hans-Peter Nilsson <hp@bitrange.com>
Cc: dann@godzilla.ics.uci.edu,
 <gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org>,
 <nobody@gcc.gnu.org>,
 <gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org>
Subject: Re: target/6882: [SPARC] Useless stack adjustment code
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:07:38 +0200

 > Now you're arguing about the *value of the optimization*.
 > I was arguing about *closing the PR for the wrong reason*.
 
 Well, you only asked me to give a specific reason for the adjustment code.
 I agreed that there appears to be no compelling reason for it. But the 
 problem is that the code is emitted anyway. So IMHO the right question is 
 rather: are there strong enough reasons for removing it? Therefore I gave my 
 opinion on this latter question.
 
 > Having said that, let's continue to the *new* discussion.  You
 > can't optimize out the call from other translation units.  Not
 > being a SPARC maintainer I won't try to judge on the benefit,
 > but it looks simple enough and seems worthwhile.  C++ tends to
 > generate a lot of small trivial functions.
 
 Maybe. My impression is that, if the optimization was that simple and that 
 worthwhile, it would already have been implemented. But I'm not a SPARC 
 maintainer either, so...
 
 -- 
 Eric Botcazou



More information about the Gcc-prs mailing list