libstdc++/9408: std::string input operator waits for EOF

Kelly Fitz kfitz@eecs.wsu.edu
Wed Jan 22 23:36:00 GMT 2003


The following reply was made to PR libstdc++/9408; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Kelly Fitz <kfitz@eecs.wsu.edu>
To: paolo@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-bugs@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-prs@gcc.gnu.org,
  kfitz@eecs.wsu.edu, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org
Cc:  
Subject: Re: libstdc++/9408: std::string input operator waits for EOF
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 15:30:08 -0800

 I expect the behavior you describe, but that is not the behavior I see.  
 When I compile and execute that code, I get:
 
 sal% ./moo
 enter a string:
 dddd<CR>
 <CR>
 <CR>
 <CR><^D>
 read: dddd
 
 
 
 
 sal%
 
 Carriage returns are not skipped, and nothing happens until I enter  
 ctl-D.
 
 Here are the details of my configuration:
 
 sal% g++3 -v -save-temps -Wall -o moo moo.ccReading specs from  
 /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/specsc- 
 3.Configured with: ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1  
 : (reconfigured) ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1 :  
 (reconfigured) ../gcc-3.2.1/configure --prefix=/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1  
 --enable-threadscc /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gThread model:  
 posixx-gnu/3.2.1/crtend.o /usr/lib/crtn.o
 gcc version 3.2.1
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/cpp0  
 -lang-c++ -D__GNUG__=3 -D__DEPRECATED -D__EXCEPTIONS -v -D__GNUC__=3  
 -D__GNUC_MINOR__=2 -D__GNUC_PATCHLEVEL__=1 -D__GXX_ABI_VERSION=102  
 -D__ELF__ -Dunix -D__gnu_linux__ -Dlinux -D__ELF__ -D__unix__  
 -D__gnu_linux__ -D__linux__ -D__unix -D__linux -Asystem=posix  
 -D__NO_INLINE__ -D__STDC_HOSTED__=1 -D_GNU_SOURCE -Acpu=i386  
 -Amachine=i386 -Di386 -D__i386 -D__i386__ -D__tune_i686__  
 -D__tune_pentiumpro__ moo.cc -Wall moo.ii
 GNU CPP version 3.2.1 (cpplib) (i386 Linux/ELF)
 ignoring nonexistent directory  
 "/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/i686-pc-linux-gnu/include"
 #include "..." search starts here:
 #include <...> search starts here:
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/include/c++/3.2.1
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/include/c++/3.2.1/i686-pc-linux-gnu
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/include/c++/3.2.1/backward
   /usr/local/include
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/include
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/include
   /usr/include
 End of search list.
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/cc1plus  
 -fpreprocessed moo.ii -quiet -dumpbase moo.cc -Wall -version -o moo.s
 GNU CPP version 3.2.1 (cpplib) (i386 Linux/ELF)
 GNU C++ version 3.2.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu)
          compiled by GNU C version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1  
 2.96-81).
   as --traditional-format -V -Qy -o moo.o moo.s
 GNU assembler version 2.10.91 (i386-redhat-linux) using BFD version  
 2.10.91.0.2
   /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/collect2 -m  
 elf_i386 -dynamic-linker /lib/ld-linux.so.2 -o moo /usr/lib/crt1.o  
 /usr/lib/crti.o  
 /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/crtbegin.o  
 -L/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1  
 -L/usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/../../..  
 moo.o -lstdc++ -lm -lgcc_s -lgcc -lc -lgcc_s -lgcc  
 /usr/local/gcc-3.2.1/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.1/crtend.o  
 /usr/lib/crtn.o
 
 
 I can also send you the configuration information for another  
 installation (on another RedHat system) of the same version (3.2.1)  
 that exhibits the behavior I have described.
 
 How should I proceed? I am trying to use this version of g++ to teach  
 C++ to a class of sophomores, and this very basic code from our text  
 doesn't execute correctly. Could we possibly have mis-configured the  
 compiler build? Do we need to step back to an earlier version?
 
 Any recommendations that you can offer will be greatly appreciated.
 -kel
 
 On Wednesday, January 22, 2003, at 02:22 PM, paolo@gcc.gnu.org wrote:
 
 > Synopsis: std::string input operator waits for EOF
 >
 > Responsible-Changed-From-To: unassigned->paolo
 > Responsible-Changed-By: paolo
 > Responsible-Changed-When: Wed Jan 22 22:22:40 2003
 > Responsible-Changed-Why:
 >     .
 > State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
 > State-Changed-By: paolo
 > State-Changed-When: Wed Jan 22 22:22:40 2003
 > State-Changed-Why:
 >     Which behaviour do you expect, exactly?
 >     I can't find nothing wrong with the current one:
 >     paolo:~> g++ 9408.cc
 >     paolo:~> a.out
 >     enter a string:
 >     ddddd<CR>
 >     read: ddddd
 >
 > http://gcc.gnu.org/cgi-bin/gnatsweb.pl?cmd=view%20audit- 
 > trail&database=gcc&pr=9408
 >
 Kelly Fitz
 School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
 Washington State University
 kfitz@eecs.wsu.edu
 



More information about the Gcc-prs mailing list