PATCH: Re: other/9031

John David Anglin dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca
Thu Dec 26 20:16:00 GMT 2002


The following reply was made to PR other/9031; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "John David Anglin" <dave@hiauly1.hia.nrc.ca>
To: aoliva@redhat.com (Alexandre Oliva)
Cc: gcc-gnats@gcc.gnu.org, nobody@gcc.gnu.org, dave.anglin@nrc.ca,
   gcc-patches@gcc.gnu.org, binutils@sources.redhat.com
Subject: Re: PATCH: Re: other/9031
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 23:10:28 -0500 (EST)

 > host.  So perhaps it would be more reasonable to change case $host to
 > case $build.  Besides, I suppose the problem may actually be caused by
 > the unnecessary use of double quotes in the assignment.  I *think*
 > taking them out may cause the needless CR to go away without affecting
 > anything else.
 
 I don't think so.  The double quotes were mine and not in the original
 libtool macro.  The original comment regarding the CR was that gcc leaves
 a trailing CR which upsets mingw.  I am unable to test whether this is
 actually a problem.  The libtool patch to strip carriage returns was made
 by Gary Vaughan on 1999-08-03.  The predates the libtool archive.  I agree
 that $host should be $build.
 
 > Also, pathname canonicalization is tricky business.  Replacing
 > foo/../ with / is only a good idea when foo is not a soft link.  Do we
 > really need this?
 
 I did the pathname canonicalization because the libtool macro did it
 and I was trying the provide a default value for LD comparible to what
 libtool would generate.  It's unnecessary in the configurations that
 I use and would have no objection in removing it.
 
 Dave
 -- 
 J. David Anglin                                  dave.anglin@nrc.ca
 National Research Council of Canada              (613) 990-0752 (FAX: 952-6605)



More information about the Gcc-prs mailing list