bootstrap fails on Debian ppc64 with fatal error: bits/libc-header-start.h: No such file or directory

Segher Boessenkool segher@kernel.crashing.org
Fri May 13 17:29:26 GMT 2022

Hi!

On Sat, May 14, 2022 at 12:20:30AM +0800, Xi Ruoyao via Gcc-help wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-05-13 at 12:15 -0400, Dennis Clarke via Gcc-help wrote:
> > > There has to be some other configure option in the salad to mix in.
>
> No, not "has to be".  It depends on what you want.
>
> If you don't need multilib (i. e. the ability to compile "Hello world"
> program for 32-bit PPC), then --disable-multilib.

That is not the best idea.  It disables *all* multilibs: for example,
for soft float as well.  If you want to not enable all targets, just say
so in your --enable-targets=, that is what it is for.
--disable-multilib means "kneecap the compiler, I don't care about all
the functionality this may disable".

> If you need it, you really need to RTFM to get how to install 32-bit
> libraries with headers on Debian, as it's OT with gcc-help.

Yeah, and all this "multiarch" stuff is as well.  (GCC does biarch just
fine of course, it is a similar concept, but much older, and it does
work fine.  It's not the same thing :-) )

Segher