gfortran | 9.3.1 missing FINDLOC?

Evan Cooch evan.cooch@gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 15:11:54 GMT 2021

On 3/30/2021 11:08 AM, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 28, 2021 at 11:28 AM Evan Cooch via Gcc-help
> <gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org <mailto:gcc-help@gcc.gnu.org>> wrote:
>
>     Was wondering if anyone can give me some advice? Is there a way to
>     'look
>     for' FINDLOC on my box (irony accidental), or (more likely) if
>     there is
>     a packaging issue with devtoolkit for CentOS, is there something I
>     can
>     do to correct the problem?
>

> findloc0_s1 should be in the libgfortran.so file.  This is a new
> function in GCC 9, so maybe you are linking with the wrong library
> version?  You can use nm (or nm -D) to look for symbols in a shared
> library.  You can use "gcc --print-file-name=libgfortran.so" to find
> the library file that gcc is using by default.  The gcc-9 compiler
> should point at a gcc-9 version of this library.  You can add -v to a
> compiler command to see what the compiler driver is doing, and
> -Wl,--verbose to see what the linker is doing, to see exactly which
> libgfortran.so file that the linker is using.
>
> Jim

Many thanks. That gave me a clue. Turns out that if I statically link
libgfortran (-static-libgfortran), findloc is found (unavoidable irony).
But, if I use a dynamic link, it is not staying with the scl env, and is
using the libgfortran that CentOS 7 (and RHEL 7) defaults to, which is
<< gcc 9. Which, if I'd stoped to think about it, sort of makes sense.