Question about selectors in the Objective-C ABI
Evan Bowman
evan.a.bowman@gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 19:25:07 GMT 2021
Oh, perhaps not, maybe I'm still confused.
On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 2:19 PM Evan Bowman <evan.a.bowman@gmail.com> wrote:
> Never mind! I answered my own question. It seems that for short names, gcc
> is doing a small size optimization, by storing string literals in-place
> within the selectors, rather than as a pointer to the string.
>
> On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 12:05 PM Evan Bowman <evan.a.bowman@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Yesterday, I was playing around with objective-c and GCC, and I have a
>> question about module loading and selectors.
>>
>> Given this minimal sample code:
>> ```
>> #import "Object.h"
>> #include <stdio.h>
>>
>> @interface HelloWorld:Object {
>> }
>> +(void) hello: (const char*) param;
>> +(void) world: (const char*) param;
>> @end
>>
>> @implementation HelloWorld
>> +(void) hello: (const char*) param {
>> printf("hello %s\n", param);
>> }
>>
>> +(void) world: (const char*) param {
>> printf("world %s\n", param);
>> }
>> @end
>>
>> int main()
>> {
>> [HelloWorld hello:"some text"];
>> }
>> ```
>>
>> I am able to get the code to compile and link with my own implementations
>> of the objective-c runtime ABI functions, but I'm confused about how to
>> determine the string name of a selector attached to a method definition.
>> For example, I have this C code, which I run upon sending the hello:
>> message to class HelloWorld, in the above example:
>>
>> void debug_walk_class(struct objc_class_gsv1* class, int depth)
>> {
>> printf("name: %s, info: %zu, inst_size: %zu, abi: %zu\n",
>> class->name,
>> class->info,
>> class->instance_size,
>> class->abi_version);
>>
>> if (class->methods) {
>> struct objc_method_list_gcc* methods = class->methods;
>>
>> for (int i = 0; i < methods->count; ++i) {
>> struct objc_method_gcc* method = &methods->methods[i];
>> printf("method: %s %zu\n",
>> method->types ? method->types : "no types",
>> method->selector->index);
>> }
>> }
>>
>> puts("");
>>
>> if (class->isa && depth < 2) {
>> debug_walk_class((struct objc_class_gsv1*)class->isa, depth + 1);
>> }
>> }
>>
>> id objc_msg_lookup(id receiver, SEL selector)
>> {
>> debug_walk_class((struct objc_class_gsv1*)receiver, 0);
>> }
>>
>> The output, when walking the class tree, looks like this:
>> name: (null), info: 0, inst_size: 94483748880412, abi: 1
>>
>> name: HelloWorld, info: 1, inst_size: 8, abi: 0
>>
>> name: HelloWorld, info: 2, inst_size: 104, abi: 0
>> method: v24@0:8r*16 5692614131986886519
>> method: v24@0:8r*16 8574917940748248424
>>
>> So, I see the two methods in the metaclass, but when I try to print the
>> selector->name string rather than selector->index, the code segfaults, so I
>> guess the selector in this case holds an index rather than a string? Does
>> anyone know how to determine the string name of the selector attached to an
>> objc_method_gcc struct? If not, what does the index represent? The selector
>> passed to objc_msg_lookup, on the other hand, does seem to be a string, I
>> can print it just fine.
>>
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list