Anonymous namespaces and global vs.local symbols in nm output

Kacvinsky, Tom Tom.Kacvinsky@vector.com
Tue Nov 24 19:02:45 GMT 2020

This code

#include <string>
#include <istream>
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

typedef std::vector<unsigned char> Signature;

namespace foo {
  bool bar (const std::string& input,
            const Signature& signature,
            std::istream& key)
  {
    return true;
  }
}

when compiled with

g++ -fPIC -o global_noans.so -shared -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -Wl,-h,global.so -fuse-ld=gold global_noans.cpp

produces this nm output

0000000000082745 T _ZN3foo3barERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEERKSt6vectorIhSaIhEERSi

Notice how it is a global symbol?

On the other hand, this code#include <string>
#include <istream>
#include <iostream>
#include <vector>

typedef std::vector<unsigned char> Signature;

namespace foo {
  namespace {
    bool bar(const std::string& input,
             const Signature& signature,
             std::istream& key)
    {
      return true;
    }
  }
}

when compiled with

g++ -fPIC -o global.so -shared -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -Wl,-h,global.so -fuse-ld=gold global.cpp

produces this nm output

00000000000826b5 t _ZN3foo12_GLOBAL__N_13barERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEERKSt6vectorIhSaIhEERSi

And now we note the symbolis local.  I tried building the shared library with a -Wl,--version-script=global.map, where global.map
is set up to make the symbol glocal instead of local, and that did not work.  I also tried compiling the source code with

void __attribute__ ((visibility ("default")))

but that made no difference, either, in the anonymous namespace symbol being lobal.  I have pinged the binutils list and they said
this might be a g++ version issue (I am using GCC 8.3.0 with binutils 2.34, gold linker).  If this is a g++ issues, I am assuming the issue
is anonymous name spaces make the symbol local, but if that isn't the cause, I'll got back to the binutils folks.  I am also going to try
a later version of GCC and binutils.

Thanks,

TOm