Should atomic_xxx() functions reject not-_Atomic() arguments ?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 19:29:49 GMT 2020

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 at 16:01, Chris Hall wrote:
> Of course, for all the machines I know well enough I can say that there
> is no difference between, inter alia, uint64_t and _Atomic(uint64_t).

For some types on some targets the atomic version has stricter
alignment requirements. For example, it might be fine to access an int
that is only byte-aligned, but for the atomic instructions to work it
might need to be 4-byte aligned. This is true for some types on x86.