Difference between --target=i386 and i686

J.W. Jagersma jwjagersma@gmail.com
Fri Feb 21 22:08:00 GMT 2020

On 2020-02-19 00:16, Jim Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:10 AM J.W. Jagersma <jwjagersma@gmail.com> wrote:
>> i686-gcc -march=i386: cmov (!)
>
> Did you check to see where the cmov instruction is coming from?  The
> compiler won't generate it with -march=i386, but there may be a
> precompiled library like libgcc or libstdc++ that contains the cmov
> instruction because they were compiled for i686.  In order to get the
> right effect with -march=i386, you would need to build multiple copies
> of the libraries, one of them with -march=i386.  We call this
> multilibs.  This is normally done with -m32/-m64 so a single compiler
> can generate both 32-bit and 64-bit code, but it is not normally done
> with i386 and i686.  You would have to change the default
> configuration to build multilibs based on -march.

Ah, you're right. The cmovs only appear in library code. So the target
name only sets the default value for -march? Which is what I initially
expected.
Say I wanted to do build multilibs for x86, where would I start? I've
been looking through the configure/make files but I don't see how it's
done.

>> So it looks like gcc compiled with --target=i686-* is incapable of producing
>> i386 code, and --target=i386-* is the most versatile option for backwards
>> compatibility with older cpus. Are there any disadvantages (reduced
>> optimization, etc) to using an i386-gcc with -march=i686 when compiling for
>> "newer" systems?
>
> Besides the performance loss, i386 doesn't have cmpxchg which means
> atomic support will be a problem.  Otherwise, it will probably work.

I did notice that using i386, my program doesn't link at -O0 due to
undefined references to __atomic_* builtins. Somehow it works at -O1
and above. It seems the only atomic operations I use are compiled to
'lock add/sub' instructions.