Compiling GCC 10.2 on AIX 7.2

Kewen.Lin linkw@linux.ibm.com
Wed Aug 19 07:18:46 GMT 2020

Hi Jonathan,

>> Still looking for help from anyone brave enough to venture in this hole.
>> I just really want to figure out why compiling GCC 64-bit for AIX is so
>> difficult.
>
> Like it says, see config.log for more details.
>
> The problem is probably those environment variables you're defining.
>
> Building GCC on AIX 7.2 is possible with the following config
> (providing valid paths for gmp and libiconv):
>
> PATH=/opt/freeware/bin:$PATH
> .../src/configure --disable-werror --enable-languages=c,c++
> --with-gmp=... --with-libiconv-prefix=... --disable-libstdcxx-pch
> --with-included-gettext
> make SHELL=/bin/bash CONFIG_SHELL=/bin/bash
>
> The SHELL and CONFIG_SHELL variables aren't required, they just speed things up.

In my limited experience, CONFIG_SHELL looks required (or becomes required?).
Without it I encountered the configuration error like:

gcc-base/libstdc++-v3/configure[22664]: syntax error at line 47774 : `;' unexpected
gcc-base/libstdc++-v3/configure[22664]: syntax error at line 17 : `)' unexpected

which bothered me for a while before.

BR,
Kewen