Diagnostic format of warnings

Licht, Martin mlicht@UCSD.EDU
Mon Aug 10 11:51:58 GMT 2020

Hello,

I have got a question regarding diagnostic output in GCC.

It seems that some diagnostic messages receive a color markup on my shell whereas others don't. For example, the word "warning" is purple for -Wfloat-equal whereas for -Winline it is not.

My guess is that some warnings happen before code generation (such as -Wfloat-equal) whereas other warnings happen after code generation (such as -Winline) and thus are treated differently.

I am wondering that is the intentional default on the GCC. It seems rather arbitrary to use such different formats for warnings.

Thanks & best regards,

Martin

http://www.math.ucsd.edu/~mlicht/