Program on old fortran IV

Bob Wilkinson bob.wilkinson@cristie.com
Thu Apr 30 14:59:42 GMT 2020

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 01:37:25PM +0000, Joao Martins Correia wrote:
> Dear Gcc Helpers
>
> I recovered an old scientific program code written in Fortran IV.
> Still using hollerith assignments - which I think I understand, I can compile it with the many warnings
> regarding essentially 3 things
>
> The program starts running, properly, reads input files and execute some routines, but then gets stuck with strange huge
> numbers that have no apparent reason to be there.
> The problem is in fact that there are no assignment of variable types and there are many commons with different variable names
> that contribute to the confusion when debugging. Setting “implicit none” creates too many errors, since sometimes is not easy
> to assign the type of the variable on a code with 30 routines and more than 5000 lines.

It is many years since I did any FORTRAN programming, but I vaguely
remember that implicit none could be used on a subroutine by
subroutine basis (though that is probably compiler-dependent).

If this works for you, it may make your job easier. I do not like
implicit ...

Bob
--
"We are in the beginning of a mass extinction, and all you can talk
about is money and fairy tales of eternal economic growth."