GCC 7 on ppc64le does not recognize vec_xl_be?

Segher Boessenkool segher@kernel.crashing.org
Sat Nov 16 14:26:00 GMT 2019

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 06:44:35AM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 6:25 AM Segher Boessenkool
> <segher@kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 15, 2019 at 08:05:57PM -0500, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> > >     g++ -DNDEBUG -g2 -O3 -mcpu=power9 -maltivec -c ppc_power9.cpp
> >
> > You forgot -Wall -Wextra, or at the very least -Wall.  It probably will
> > help you find this problem., too.
>
> OK, thanks.
>
> I have a comprehensive test script that does things like -Wall
> -Wextra. It takes 4 to 6 hours to run. It is not suitable for Travis,
> though.

You should have warnings enabled *always*.  It does not take extra time,
not measurable anyway.  The point is that the compiler will tell you
about likely errors you made, right after you made them, so it is easy
to correct then, and a huge time saver.  And if the compiler think that
something may be wrong, but it really all is perfectly fine, perhaps the
code should be written in such a way that this is more clear.

If you still think it is a compiler bug, please file a bug in bugzilla,
with a testcase that reproduces the problem, so that we can investigate
(instead of guess).

Segher