Recursive SIGSEGV question

Jonny Grant jg@jguk.org
Mon Mar 25 20:39:00 GMT 2019

Hi!

On 25/03/2019 17:14, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Andrew Haley:
>
>> On 3/25/19 2:01 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>>> * Xi Ruoyao:

>>> I think “impossible” is too strong.
>>
>> It is. We do it with stack banging and a few guard pages in the HotSpot JVM.
>> The problem is that recovering well enough to throw an exception requires
>> some quite hairy non-portable code.
>
> Of course it's going to be non-portable.  Ideally, this would be
> handled out-of-process: the shell registers itself with the system
> coredump handler, and the handler analyzes the crash and provides
> information back to the shell for display.
>
> It's quite difficult to get there, but it's certainly not impossible.
> We really should have lightweight tracebacks for aborts and the like
> in C/C++ code.  Right now, every moderately large piece of software
> tries to write their robust in-process crash handler, with varying
> results.
> .

Could GCC add a simple crash handler? maybe  -fcrash-handler

C++ exceptions show a few clues when there is a crash, which is helpful, eg:

// g++-8 -Wall -o cpp cpp.cpp
#include <vector>
int main()
{
     std::vector<int> v;
     return v.at(0);
}

$ ./cpp
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::out_of_range'
   what():  vector::_M_range_check: __n (which is 0) >= this->size()
(which is 0)
Aborted

Jonny