compiling a simple "hello world example" Microchip PIC32 ( march is 24ks) fails...

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 22:20:00 GMT 2019

On Tue, 12 Mar 2019 at 18:33, Branko <brane221122@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd like to use my system gcc if possible to compile for such simple
> micro ( no OS, no infrastructure, need barebone implementation).
>

> I'm running Gentoo on x86_64, with gcc-8.3.0

Then your system compiler can only compile for x86_64 and x86.

> So I cobbled up one three line example and within it just main functioin
> that does nothing, except returns.
>

> Then I tried "gcc -march=24kc main.c".
>

> But compiler fails with unknown architecture, even though 24ks is listed
> under MIPS.

But your system compiler targets x86_64.

A given build of GCC targets a single CPU architecture. Yours targets
x86_64, not MIPS.

> It outputs a list of suppported arches, and all of them are just within
> x86/x86_64 world. No ARM, not Power, nothing else.
>

> How should this be done ?
>

> I don't think about going crosscompile as the compiler will run on my
> host machine, while it's results would run on the micro...

That's the definition of a cross compiler, and is what you need to do.

You'll have to get a MIPS cross-compiler that runs on your host
machine, or build one yourself.