libatomic, 32-bit object code vs. 64-bit object, GCC 8.3.0

Kacvinsky, Tom Tom.Kacvinsky@vector.com
Thu Jun 20 20:26:00 GMT 2019

Hi,

OK, for our purposes we are using integral types of 64-bits wide or less.

> On i386 you need libatomic even for 32-bit integers, as it has no atomic
> operations. i586 has 64-bit atomics though.
>
> So if you configured your 32-bit compiler for i386, not i586 or later, then by
> default it will want to use libatomic for all atomic ops.

If  by configuring GCC for i386 you mean having i386 in the build triplet (used in the
the --build option), then yes indeed I compiled my 32-bit GCC for i386.  Not sure if
we should target i586 (or higher).

All of that said, it's not a problem to use libatomic, I just wanted to understand why
our 32-bit product needs libatomic but our 64-bit product does not.

Thanks for the help.

Tom