GCC update increased the file size by 4x on PowerPC port

Felipe Gohring lipee36@gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 16:12:00 GMT 2019

Hello,
recently, I have updated my GCC PowerPC port from 6.3 to 8.2
As my architecture relies on SPE extension, I am using the SPE brench of
GCC (powerpc-eabispe-*).

Now, my question is related to the generated code. When using V6.3, I had
files of about 10k. After upgrading to V8.2, the very same file has more
than 40k. Why is that? Please keep in mind that I am using exactly the same
compilation flags (*-m32 -mmfpgpr -mabi=spe -mfloat-gprs=double -nostdlib
-ffreestanding -fno-builtin -O0 -g3 -std=c11 -Wno-packed-bitfield-compat
-Wall -Werror*) and source code, the only thing changing is the compiler
version. I wouldn't mind having a memory footprint a bit bigger, but the
overhead added is beyond acceptable.

Further, besides the crazy sizes, some applications are breaking when using
the updated compiler version, even though I am not having any warning
neither error (*-Wall -Werror)*. How come, as the ABI should not be broken
even with a different compiler version?

So, any direction, advice or comment here would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

--
Felipe GM