Understanding target specifications for memory barriers

Akshat Garg xkspr7@gmail.com
Fri Aug 2 21:58:00 GMT 2019

Hi all,
I am trying to understand how the target specifications are used in GCC
architecture. I am trying to know how the memory fences get added for power
architecture. Are they added after the final RTL pass or the barrier
instruction in the IR-RTL gets converted into one?

Also, in which phase we identify that the instruction involves some memory
ordering for a particular target and we need to give some memory fencing
for it, i.e., during GIMPLE to RTL, RTL to RTL or RTL to assembly or
somewhere else?

Thanks,
Akshat