What's the recommended linux distro to build gcc?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Sun Sep 30 12:06:00 GMT 2018

On Sat, 29 Sep 2018 at 20:27, Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org> wrote:

> On 09/29/2018 03:06 PM, rih5342 wrote:
> > Hi, new gcc user here.
> >
> > What's the recommended linux distro to build gcc?

This question doesn't really make sense. You don't install a distro
just to build GCC, you build GCC to use with your existing system.
What are you trying to achieve? If you just want to use GCC, every
GNU/Linux distro already provides GCC packages for you. Just install a
recent distro and you'll have a recent GCC.

> Use anything you are comfortable with and I recommend either Debian 9 or
> a recent Red Hat Enterprise Linux.  Be sure to build the dependencies as
> you will need libgmp and libmpfr and a few others.

No, don't build the dependencies manually to build GCC (except in
special circumstances, and if you're asking this question that doesn't
apply to you). See https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC