Tests Failing on x86_64_gnu

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Mon Oct 29 22:19:00 GMT 2018

CCing the list again.
On Mon, 29 Oct 2018 at 22:13, nick <xerofoify@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2018-10-29 5:45 p.m., Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> >> Sorry thought it was sent to the list.
> >>
> >> Nick

> > Which tests? All of them? More than half of them? You're really not
> > giving us much to go on here.
> >
> > You can compare your results with other people's results for recent
> > trunk builds at https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-testresults/2018-10/
> >
> > For recent x86_64-pc-linux-gnu builds I see about 0.1% of tests
> > failing (a few for the compiler, and a few for libstdc++).
> >
> > It's not unusual for there to be a few failures at this point in the
> > development cycle. If you want a stable compiler with no issues, don't
> > use the development trunk.
> >

> Sure I was aware of that and seems so after checking the build logs, thanks for those.
> Anyhow my last question is I fixed a bug and was wondering if even with failing tests
> before the patch was applied i.e. a clean gcc tree will it be able to be merged or
> not as that's the standard I was aware of for patches.

If tests are failing without your patch, you don't need to worry about
them. You're looking for changes caused by your patch, not
pre-existing failures. This is documented at
https://gcc.gnu.org/contribute.html#testing

"You must also perform regression tests to ensure that your patch does
not break anything else. Typically, this means comparing post-patch
test results to pre-patch results by testing twice or comparing with
recent posts to the gcc-testresults list."

If there had to be zero test failures before any patch is committed
then there wouldn't be dozens of commits per day:
https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-cvs/2018-10/