Do C dialect options -std=* affect the ABI?

Sebastian Huber sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de
Tue May 8 11:01:00 GMT 2018


On 08/05/18 12:40, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 8 May 2018 at 06:32, Sebastian Huber wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> do the C dialect options -std=* affect the ABI?
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/C-Dialect-Options.html
>>
>> For example can I safely link objects produced with different C++ standard
>> versions to produce an executable?
> You started out asking about C but then finish asking about C++, which
> are you asking about?

The C++ standard options are also documented on this page. In the text 
you have:

"The following options control the dialect of C (or languages derived 
from C, such as C++, Objective-C and Objective-C++) that the compiler 
accepts:"

>
> For C++ see https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46746878/is-it-safe-to-link-c17-c14-and-c11-objects/49119902#49119902
>
> To the best of my knowledge the -std options for C do not affect ABI
> either, but I'm less certain than I am for C++.

I think it should be documented on this page if the ABI is affected.

-- 
Sebastian Huber, embedded brains GmbH

Address : Dornierstr. 4, D-82178 Puchheim, Germany
Phone   : +49 89 189 47 41-16
Fax     : +49 89 189 47 41-09
E-Mail  : sebastian.huber@embedded-brains.de
PGP     : Public key available on request.

Diese Nachricht ist keine geschäftliche Mitteilung im Sinne des EHUG.



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list