The new 128-bit floating point _Float128 per ISO/IEC/IEEE 60559:2011 ??

Dennis Clarke dclarke@blastwave.org
Tue Mar 13 12:38:00 GMT 2018

On 13/03/18 08:04 AM, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> On 13 March 2018 at 02:47, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>

>> I did some digging and found that the new floating point types[1] really
>> only exist in a few architectures.  Near as I can tell. However I have
>> yet to see them.  Yet.  Working on it.  I am not sure if the Debian
>> packages for gcc allow them nor sure if the kernel config even has the
>> options yet. Certianly math emulation can be done but actual software
>> implementations of _Float128?  I don't *yet* know.  I have linux kernel
>> 4.15.9 on ppc64 however that won't suffice.  Certainly won't work on
>> plain jane 32-bit x86 either regardless of kernel rev.
>
> The kernel has nothing to do with it, does it? The requirements are on
> GCC and glibc.

yep https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-help/2018-03/msg00036.html

I have been digging around in this for months and on various platforms
for a while.  Have not seen things working .. yet.  Real soon now.  :-)

The folks at Oracle state that Oracle Studio 12.6 has full support for
just about everything you would want but then again, where?  Oh yeah, on
Solaris and even then .. maybe.   I don't know yet as I have seen some
breakage down in the bits there too.

Anyways ... it really is great to see what recent gcc and glibc "can" do
where I have been following :

  See GNU libc release message for 2.26 :
      https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2017-08/msg00010.html

  See GNU libc release message for 2.27 :
      https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2018-02/msg00054.html

Dennis

ps: catching floating point exceptions is a whole other can o worms