gcc 7.3 bootstrap: ld is skipping incompatible mpc/mpfr/gmp libs

Michael Brunnbauer brunni@netestate.de
Tue Mar 20 17:07:00 GMT 2018

Hello Jonathan,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 04:35:06PM +0000, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
> > I'm trying to build gcc 7.3 on an x86 32 bit system with support for 32
> > and 64 bit binaries
>
> I don't know if that's even possible, other than by building a
> cross-compiler with --target=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu. Maybe it is.

It is possible - I have done it before with gcc 4.9.4. That's what the
--enable-targets=all option is for.

See https://gcc.gnu.org/install/configure.html

> Have you tried the following the instructions at
> https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC and using the
> contrib/download_prerequisites script so that gmp/mpfr/mpc are built
> as part of the build process? GCC should build them with whatever
> architecture is needed.

I will try - though configure only mentions the isl lib when I do that:

 configure: WARNING: using in-tree isl, disabling version check
 *** This configuration is not supported in the following subdirectories:
     target-libquadmath gnattools gotools target-libada target-libhsail-rt target-libgfortran target-libbacktrace target-libgo target-libffi target-libobjc target-liboffloadmic
    (Any other directories should still work fine.)

I suspect the libs in /usr/lib may still be used. Anyway there should be
nothing wrong with them. I expect this to fail and will send a mail to
list should it turn out to work.

cu,
brunni

--