How to include "wide int" in code

U.Mutlu um@mutluit.com
Thu Jul 12 07:42:00 GMT 2018


colinb2 . wrote on 07/12/2018 02:52 AM:
> On 7/11/18, U.Mutlu <um@mutluit.com> wrote:
>> I think these wide int routines make it possible to create 64bit targets
>> on 32bit hosts, ie. crosscompiling.
>
> See a later reply by Martin Sebor: they also make it possible to
> create 65bit to 128bit targets on 64bit hosts, and I suspect we could
> create beyond 128bit targets.
>
>> Regarding make: it should work when touch'ing a source file.
>> I just tried it out with the ../gcc_src/gcc/expmed.c: yes, it behaves as
>> expected.
>>
>> Maybe you did the build (configure and make) via a script,
>> but now calling make not from the same script: in this case
>> the environment can be different. One should avoid that;
>> better is doing the make in the same script as the configure,
>> in this case just disabling the configure step beforehand.
>
> I just extracted GCC from the tar file, ran contrib prerequisites, and
> then set up a standard make file, and just ran make, which worked
> before, so I've no idea why it no longer works!

Do you mean the make file created by the configure script of gcc,
or do you mean a self-made makefile?

>> OTOH, maybe just your "hook" is causing some side effects leading to that
>> unexpected behavior? :-) I don't think so, but w/o seeing the modification
>> one can only guess.
>> If it's not much code, then you can post your hook here, I then can try
>> to compile it and tell you about the outcome.
>
> That's most helpful; what I'm really interested in is some rough
> benchmarks/timings, so I'll think about the best way to do that and
> then, as you suggest, post the code here. It may be a day or two until
> I manage to do that. What I'm suspecting is that using "wide int" even
> just once might be slower than completely avoiding it. I posted
> something on the main gcc mailing list on
> Making GNU GCC choose_multiplier in expmed.c significantly faster
> https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2018-07/msg00159.html
> but I haven't had any "bites" yet!

I couldn't figure out yet which hdcode (ie. that of the book) you refer
in the msg00159-link above (or have I maybe overlooked your reference?).
I don't have that book. Can you give the ref-link please if it's among
the codes published at the web site under http://hackersdelight.org/hdcode.htm




More information about the Gcc-help mailing list