how to compile in one system targeting another?

Jeffrey Walton noloader@gmail.com
Sat Oct 21 12:04:00 GMT 2017


On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 7:41 AM, Toebs Douglass <toby@winterflaw.net> wrote:
> On 21/10/17 04:07, sugar wrote:
>>
>> Hi, how could for instance, compile a source in my server, but the actual
>> target will be another server, should I enable certain special flags at
>> the
>> time of the compilation?
>
> I may be wrong, but as I understand it, GCC has the notion of a host, a
> target and a build.
>
> The host is the platform (OS, processor, etc) which runs GCC.
>
> The target is the platform GCC emits code for.
>
> The build is the platform which is actually building this GCC.

I'm not sure they are correct. Or it is not correct if you are using
Autotools. Or I am mis-parsing things.

I made the mistake a long time ago using Autotools. For Autotools, see
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/autoconf/2013-10/msg00007.html.

Jeff



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list