Query regarding initializing memory to specific byte patterns.

Mason slash.tmp@free.fr
Wed Oct 4 09:14:00 GMT 2017

On 02/10/2017 02:59, Abhijit Gokaraju wrote:

> We have inherited a piece of software which checks for illegal memory
> writes due to memory overrun/underrun and writing to released memory.

You seem to be interested in debugging dynamically-allocated memory
(malloc'ed heap memory). These operations are not handled in gcc,
but left up to the libc implementation.

For example, if you're using glibc, take a look at man mallopt
(especially the env variables) and related functions.

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man3/mallopt.3.html

Tools such as valgrind may prove useful.

Regards.