Why is -Wold-style-definition off by default?
Martin Sebor
msebor@gmail.com
Wed Nov 1 23:59:00 GMT 2017
On 10/30/2017 06:20 AM, Antons Suspans wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Why is -Wold-style-definition off by default and not implied by -Wall,
> -Wextra? The following code might be a marginal example, which is
> compiled without warning about missing prototype and unchecked args
> (gcc-5.3.0 -Wall -Wextra ex.c).
I recently wondered the same thing. Functions without a prototype
have been deprecated since C99. As the C committee is starting to
work on C2X it will consider removing (a subset of) deprecated features.
I think it would make sense to include the option in -Wall now, well
ahead of C2X being finalized (it arguably should been done years ago).
If you'd like to see such a change I suggest opening a request in Bugzilla.
Martin
>
> void f(x)
> int x;
> { }
>
> int main(void) {
> f(1.0);
> return 0;
> }
>
> Thanks,
>
> Antons
>
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list