-march=native

Toebs Douglass toby@winterflaw.net
Sat May 20 09:39:00 GMT 2017

Hi all.

I've built a native 5.4.0 on a PINE64 SBC.

To my surprise, it doesn't understand "-march=native", giving me this error;

"error: unknown value ‘native’ for -march"

A 5.4.0, built using the same script but on x86_64, understands "native".

The GCC which comes with the Debian on the PINE64 also doesn't
understand "native".

I could be wrong, but I thought "native" invoked special magic in GCC
such that it would have a good guess at your native system; if that's
correct, then this mechanism seems to be missing.

What's up with this?  and words of wisdom?