__GCC_HAVE_SYNC_COMPARE_AND_SWAP_16 not defined on aarch64
Toebs Douglass
toby@winterflaw.net
Wed Jun 28 07:27:00 GMT 2017
On 28/06/17 00:45, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> On 27/06/17 22:58, Toebs Douglass wrote:
>> On 27/06/17 23:53, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>>> This is correct. AArch64 cannot do the 16-byte atomic compare and swap
>>> and needs lock operations.
>>
>> I may be completely wrong, but I think it can.
>>
>> ARM (32-bit) supported double-word LL/SC from arm6k and armv8 I think
>> had it from day one. CAS is mapped onto LL/SC.
>>
>> I've written asm to do this, the key is the ldxp and stxp instruction,
>> and it seems to work.
> Only *seems* to work. The ldxp operation is *NOT* atomic and atomicity
> is only guaranteed if a store back of the original read value completes.
Yes. There's a loop, calling ldxp/stxp, which continues until either
the compare fails or the store was successful.
> In general this makes ldxp not useful for atomic operations since we
> cannot guarantee that the location is writable.
I'm not quite sure what this means. I mean, I know what it means in a
literal and straightforward sense, but not in a larger sense. From my
POV, writing user-mode code, aarch64 seems no different to any other
platform. I have memory, I write to it, it gets written to.
Non-writeable memory would be ROM, no? I wouldn't expect store returned
by malloc or allocated on stack won't be placed in ROM, and that's how I
get store to LL/SC on.
More information about the Gcc-help
mailing list