Manual intallation with admin priviledges: what to put in my path?

Sebastian Kroppen zwiebel.genuss@gmx.de
Thu Jul 20 17:24:00 GMT 2017


Hello,

I have been in a situation where I needed to install a recent GCC from 
scratch in my home directory (Linux). I do not have administrator 
priviledges on my machine.

I have followed an answer to a question on stackoverflow [1], which in 
turn refers to a wiki page of yours [2].

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/a/10662297/
[2] https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/InstallingGCC/

I have replaced 4.6.2 with 7.1.0 in those commands. My configure command 
was
$PWD/../gcc-7.1.0/configure --prefix=$HOME/gcc-7.1.0 --disable-multilib

Running make and make install completed without fatal errors.

However, where do I find the executables?
More generally: how do I make GCC-7.1.0 available in my daily work?

Yes, I am able to amend my path variable.

Additional question:
the script on the two linked pages seems to install GCC in the same 
directory as the source files. Is that a good idea?

Best,
Sebastian



More information about the Gcc-help mailing list