How can I install gcc in different partition?

Jonathan Wakely jwakely.gcc@gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 10:12:00 GMT 2017

On 23 January 2017 at 08:55, Xi Ruoyao wrote:
> On 10 January 2017 at 09:00, Jonathan Wakely wrote:
>> On 10 January 2017 at 02:39, ssmtpmailtesting ssmtpmailtesting wrote:
>> > The current linux os I'm using is in /dev/sda7, mounted as /(root).
>> > I've mounted /dev/sda2 in /media/sda2. Now trying to install gcc in
>> > /media/sda2/usr/bin.
>>
>> Then build GCC with --prefix=/media/sda2/usr
>
> I don't think that's enough. This would generate GCC executables
> polluted
> by things in current system. For example,
>
>     /media/sda2/usr/libexec/gcc/{version}/cc1
>
> may link to
>
>    (in sda7) /usr/lib/libgmp.so
>
> But actually there may be no /media/sda2/usr/lib/libgmp.so. So when you
> try to invoke GCC in /dev/sda2, you'll receive
>
>     error while loading shared libraries: libgmp.so: cannot open shared
>     object file: No such file or directory
>
> That's bad. I suggest to chroot into /media/sda2.

Or just ensure libgmp.so and libmfr.so and libmpc.so are also
installed in the new partition. Or link to them statically, which is
what happens when using the contrib/downloadd_prerequisites script.