Documented support for attributes on function definitions?

Segher Boessenkool segher@kernel.crashing.org
Sat Dec 2 20:01:00 GMT 2017

Hi!

On Sat, Dec 02, 2017 at 06:05:42PM +0100, Markus Elfring wrote:
> The GCC documentation provides a specific information:
> https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-7.2.0/gcc/Function-Attributes.html
> “…
> Function attributes are introduced by the __attribute__ keyword on a declaration,
> …”
>
> The corresponding examples specify such attributes at the end of each
> function declaration. I constructed another small test program which can show
> that they work also at other positions with function definitions.
>
> How do you think about to describe this possibility better in the documentation?

There is

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-7.2.0/gcc/Attribute-Syntax.html#All-other-attributes

already, but it isn't too easy to read (or to find, apparently).

Suggestions welcome!  Patches even better ;-)

Segher