building GCC - please check method, and results so far over multiple platforms

Brian Drummond brian@shapes.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 10 09:35:00 GMT 2017

On Mon, 2017-04-10 at 10:36 +0200, Toebs Douglass wrote:
> Hi, everyone.
>
> I am currently working to build every released version of GCC,
> starting
> with 4.1.2, on four different platforms - aarch64, arm, mipsel and
> x86_64.

> 1. download the source for a GCC release (into say "/tmp/src/")
>
> 2. download the matching libmpfr, libgmp and libmpc sources

You're doing it the hard way.

For each gcc release for which there exists a
"contrib/download_prerequisites" script (may not apply to the very
oldest on this list)

use that script, to download a known compatible version of all required
libraries into a known compatible location.

Then (from your build directory)
../wherever_my_sources_are/configure my_options
will find and configure to build the lot.

It won't use the latest and greatest version of mpfr etc for each
compiler release, but it'll use the version that most builds of that
release were built with, and keep you out of the weeds covering rarely
trodden paths.

-- Brian