building every released version of GCC starting with 4.1.2, with appropriate matching glibc

Christer Solskogen christer.solskogen@gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 13:39:00 GMT 2017

On 07.04.2017 14.57, Toebs Douglass wrote:
> On 07/04/17 14:06, Mason wrote:
>> On Ubuntu, it's possible to have several versions of GCC coexist.
>> (For example, I use 4.8.x, 5.x, and 6.x on the same system.)
>> I just installed the packages, of course.
>
> Yes.
>
> On my Debian, I see 4.8 and 4.9 are available.
>
> However, I know of no systems where every released version of GCC is
> available (at least starting with 4.1.2).
>
> Also I expect those different versions are all built using the single
> glibc used by the distro?  I would like to vary glibc as well, so I can
> benchmark pthread locking mechanisms across glibc versions.

What you can do is to build multiple "cross" compilers that are linked
to every version of glibc. But aren't you also a bit using different
versions of the kernel as well?

--
chs