Is "-march=atom" deprecated?

waltdnes@waltdnes.org waltdnes@waltdnes.org
Wed Sep 28 23:15:00 GMT 2016

Hi all;

  I have an ancient 32-bit-only "Atom netbook" that still works.  I
prefer to use it for lugging around, because it wouldn't be a major loss
for me if it got lost or whatever.  It's underpowered for gcc, and only
has 2 gigabytes of ram.  According to the query...

gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target | grep march=

...the cpu is "-march=bonnell".  I build binaries for it on my desktop
with the following flags...

export CFLAGS="-O2 -march=bonnell -mfpmath=sse -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-unwind-tables -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables"

...and CXXFLAGS is a copy of CFLAGS.  Does that look correct?  I'm using
the "bonnell" march in gcc 4.9.3 as per...

https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-4.9.3/gcc/i386-and-x86-64-Options.html#i386-and-x86-64-Options

  My Google-searching has turned up conflicting responses to the
question in the subject.  One extreme is in post #3 in thread
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1423395#p1423395 which says
that "-march=atom" is a no-op, which results in a generic build.  I
figured that the gcc-help list is probably the best source for an
authoritative answer to the question... Is "-march=atom" deprecated; and
what happens when you invoke it?

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@waltdnes.org>