Which compiler pass prints a warning?

Jeff Law law@redhat.com
Mon Sep 19 14:47:00 GMT 2016

On 09/18/2016 12:23 PM, Martin Sebor wrote:
> On 09/17/2016 11:08 AM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> For warnings issued by the optimizers, is there a way to get the name
>> of the pass which runs when the warning is generated?
>
> I don't know of an easy or reliable way other than to grep the source
> code for the text of warning (or its substrings when it's split across
> multiple lines).
Correct.  There's currently no way to know if a warning comes from the
FE or any particular pass in the pipeline.  I believe everyone greps for
the warning in the sources to figure that out.

Short of that, I think it might be possible to come
> close by looking at where in the output of -fdump-tree-all=/dev/stderr
> the diagnostic appears and determining the pass from the context.
> E.g., by
>
>   gcc -O2 -S -Wall -fdump-tree-all=/dev/stdout z.c 2>&1 | less
>
> and then searching the output for the warning and figuring out from
> the contents of the dump around it what pass might have issued it.
> Unfortunately, the dumps don't contain the name of their pass (I've
> wished they did for other reasons) so this exercise isn't completely
> straightforward either.
It'd probably work, but it isn't terribly user friendly :-)

> PS I think it would be useful to be able to more easily pinpoint
> the source line responsible for emitting a diagnostic.  Others will
> have a better idea of how feasible it might be to do but it seems
> that having calls to error_at, warning_at, and others pass the
> __FILE__ and __LINE__ of their caller to the diagnostic machinery
> should make it possible to include this information in the text of
> each diagnostic in response to some new option.
Seems like it may be worth investigating.  There are certainly times
when knowing what pass spit out an error/warning would be helpful.

jeff